Our History

The Sunshine League began in 1919 when Miss Agnes May Robinson noticed young boys, most homeless, diving for pennies thrown by cruise ship passengers into Hamilton Harbour. With nothing but a few shillings, a good deal of faith and the generosity of members of the Bermuda community, Miss Robinson founded an organization that would go on to provide a safe, loving home and quality therapeutic care, for Bermuda’s children for over 90 years.

The Sunshine League started in Middletown, Pembroke and moved several times before settling at its current location on King Street in 1950. In 1965 a new wing was opened which increased the capacity of the home thus allowing us to care for even more children.

During its long lifetime, the Sunshine League has provided:

  • A home for boys of no fixed abode, who used to dive in the harbor for pennies thrown by tourists from the ships;
  • A playground for children in order to keep them off of the streets;
  • A Sunday school;
  • A source of nourishing food to sick and needy children;
  • A Day nursery;
  • A Foster Care Home for children between the ages of 2 and 18 until its closure in 1992 for major renovations after which time it reopened as an accredited residential care facility for displaced children aged 8-18 years.
  • Quality therapeutic care to Bermuda’s young people

The Sunshine League has always received generous support of finances, time, and love from the community. We have been blessed through the years with scores of hard working volunteers and advocates of the work that we do. The Sunshine League has nurtured hundreds of our community’s children over the years and we are proud to say that many of our former residents are now successful members of the community and have gone on to actively support the organization.

Timeline

 
AAC Saatchi & Saatchi Island Cleaning Services CellOne North Rock Communications